Professor & Head,
Anesthesiology, Pain and Palliative Care,
Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Chief Editor-Indian Journal of Palliative Care
Teaching & Research Experience : 25 yrs
- Cancer Pain Management and Palliative Care
SIGNIFICANT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Chief Editor, Indian Journal of Palliative Care
- Board of Directors- International Association of Hospice and Palliative Care.
- Master mentor of the Capacity Building program at Cancer Treatment centers in India in collaboration with APHN, AIIMS and MOHFW
- Leadership and Excellence Award amongst SAARC countries by Cancer Aids Society-2013
- Recipient of IASP Award for Excellence in Clinical Research or Practice and/or Policy Changes in Pain Management in the Developing World, at the 14th World Congress on Pain at Milan-2012.
- Recipient of Distinguished Pain Physician of the Country Award 2012-2013 at the 3nd Interventional Conference of World Institute of Pain.
- ‘Chief Editor’ of Indian Journal of Palliative Care since last four years from 2009 till date.
- Received an Award for outstanding presentation in 1st Global Conference on Peri-operative care in Nov.2012 at MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, Texas.
- Member of the Development of Implementing Framework for Palliative Care Across India.
- Deputy team leader and a faculty of Training of Trainers in Palliative care programme for Bandladesh by Lien Collaborative for Palliative Care
- Invited by WHO to serve as an Palliative Care Expert on imPACT Mission to Sudan, 23-26th April,2012
- Organizing Chairperson of Scientific program of 23rd International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care in Feb.2016 at Pune.
- 2nd International conference on Interventional Pain at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi on 24-26th Aug.,2012
- Organizing Chairperson of 2nd International conference on Interventional Pain at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi on 24-26th Aug.,2012
- Organizing Chairperson of Scientific Committee of “18th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care” at SGPGI, LUCNOW from 11-14th Feb. 2011.
- Organizing Secretary of 16th International Conference of Indian Association of Palliative Care held at All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in Feb.2009
- Nominated as Honorary faculty for certificate course of Indian Association of Palliative Care.
- Nominated as member of Task Force of National Cancer Control Program, India.
- Reviewer of International Journals British Journal of Anaesthesiology, Clinical Journal of Anaesthesiology, Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. ’
- Participated in educational activity entitled “Achieving a Balance: Pain Management and Risk of Opioid Misuse and Abuse” organized by Postgraduate Institute of Medicine held August 31,2010- Montreal, Canada
- Organized Secretary- Foundation Course on Palliative care every year since 2002 in the month of Feb.
- Organized six workshops at various State Medical Colleges of Uttar Pradesh to increase the awareness of Cancer Pain Management.
- Organized Workshop on Cancer Pain Relief by Morphine Availability - for Medical Professionals, Drug Controllers and Legislators, June 2002
- Organized Workshop on Cancer Pain Relief by Morphine Availability for Medical Professionals, Drug Controllers and Legislators in SGPGI, Lucknow in Feb.2007
- Best Paper award in Biennial Conference of Research Society of Anesthesiologist held on 10-12th Nov.,2006 at Armed force medical College, Pune
- Best Poster award in Biennial Conference of Research Society of Anesthesiologist held on 10-12th Nov.,2006 at Armed force medical College, Pune.
- Best research protocol presentation award at AIIMS golden Jubilee celebration. 2007
- Member of International participants meeting on ’Pain Survey’ in Asia-Pacific Region held on 28th Oct.2006 at Singapore.
KEY CONTRIBUTIONS :
- Started two important courses MD, Palliative Medicine and DM, Onco-Anaesthesia at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Established and expanded Pain and Palliative care services at cancer centre of AIIMS.
- Started Indoor Palliative Care facility at IRCH, AIIMS.
- Planning and commissioning of six new operation theaters and six bedded Intensive Care unit for oncology patients.
- Interventional Pain Management techniques : PNFS (Peripheral Nerve Field Stimulator ) in Post Thoracotomy Pain --1st time in INDIA
- USG guided nerve blocks.
- Ultrasound guided line central venous line placements
- Radiofrequency ablation for pain management.
- IRCH –AIIMS is the Nodal Center for conducting Indian Association of Palliative Care’s Certificate Course in Palliative Care
- Scrambler Therapy for Neuropathic Cancer Pain
- Neuromodulation for cancer Pain Managemen
Publications In Journal & Books
- Papers Published in Indexed Journals: 140
- Papers Published in non - Index Journals: 10
- Chapter in books- 10
- Edited Book entitled ” Freedom from Pain”
Participation in Conferences
- Invited as Guest Lecture/ Examiner/ Panelist and keynote speaker at International level.-20
- Invited as Guest Lecture/ Examiner/ Panelist and keynote speaker at national level-75
- International Conference Attended and paper/poster presented as primary Author:12
- International Conference Attended and Paper/poster presented as CO-Author-26
- Papers presented as chief and co author in national conference : 47
Membership of Professional Organizations
- Member of International Association of Hospice and Palliative care.
- Member of International Association of Study of Pain.
- Member of American Society of Hospice and Palliative medicine.
- Member of European Association of Palliative care.
- Member of American Society of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine.
- Member of American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Life Member Indian Society of Anaesthesiology.
- Life Member Indian Association of Palliative Care.
- Life Member Research Society of Anaesthesiology and Clinical Pharmacology.
- Life Member Indian Society of Oncology.
- Life Member Indian Society of Critical care.